Friday 13 October 2023

Single Review: My Truth & Emancipation by BENZA

 

Emancipation / My Truth

By

BENZA

 


There are times when you just want to review something because the music and the story behind the music speaks to, and touches you so deeply, and this is one of those times so I would please ask that you bear with me.

BENZA is a Hip Hop artist/emcee who is originally from Banbury, Oxfordshire and is now based in Reading, Berkshire. Now I would normally take someone’s bio and use my own words to elaborate on what I have read. But this time as I read through BENZA’a words I felt, on a deep level, that I should let him tell his own story. These might just be a short story but, its profound and touches you deeply. Also, please be aware of the subject matter and I also give a Trigger Warning for that subject matter:

From suffering abuse as a child to battling my own demons with addiction, I'm glad to say that I am now almost one year completely clean, sober and nicotine free (which is a miracle for someone who couldn't go without alcohol or substances for just one day).
Whilst struggling with the deaths of my (only other sibling) best friend and my brother, my ex-partner, my dad, uncles and then grandparents sadly, I had also managed to escape a burning building and survive a knife attack. The grips of my heavy addiction unfortunately then led me to some dark places and eventually homelessness where I was plagued with suicidal thoughts and depression, eventually leading to my heart failing after an overdose, where I was obviously brought back with adrenaline.
I am now grateful to be able to tell that story and hopefully one day it can inspire others through my music and journey.
Within this madness I have still been able to create some music over the past 20 years now. I am an artist who has a real passion for writing, recording, telling this story and performing my music and have done for many years now.
I now truly believe my music can evoke many emotions because I am a very versatile, technical lyricist, a unique story teller, a poet , a punchline / battle rapper, Grime and Drum and Bass MC with various flows , concepts, wordplay & metaphors. Whether I create 'Conscious' or 'Hardcore Hip Hop' , I believe we all have different moods for each moment in life, and as some people believe 'variety is the spice of life' I believe I do encapsulate that in my music. I hope one day people can grasp my true passion for this and also connect with my pain, seeing that there is another way out.

Following on from reading that story you can have some sense of the content that BENZA is going to express in these following two singles Emancipation and My Truth. I’ll review these as they were released with My Truth first followed by Emancipation…

 

My Truth has production from Temper Beats who brings a reflective vibe courtesy of keys, which initially tweak your nerves before fading into the background as the heavy beat drops in, which gets your head nodding as your mind drifts. Here we find BENZA dropping two verses full of reflection of events that have shaped who he is, from the events of his youth to those that have had a huge impact in more recent years, the impact of all these traumatic events is clear and has the potential to hit you like a tidal wave but, a tidal wave that matches the emotive content with a solid boom bap Hip Hop sound.

Emancipation is produced Epik The Dawn and brings an emotive edge to the sound which seems to envelop your heart, as if cushioning it, while still having vibe that allows you head to slowly nod in time with the melodic beat. Here BENZA relates the heart wrenching story that is his life; all the pain and trauma is laid bare for all to hear. His journey through addiction, shaking hands with the grim reaper, before seeing the light and finding the path to recovery. It might have a deep dark sound but, it just goes to show that we only see the light when recognise the darkness.

 


I purposefully kept my description of these two tracks short because the message that is contained within them serves a bigger purpose both individually and when taken together. These tracks detail one person’s journey through a life filled with trauma, pain, and grief. That, in itself, would be enough to touch the deepest parts of anyone’s heart but, there is so much more here than just one man’s story. These tracks serve as a beacon of hope to all those out there who struggle with their own mental health challenges, regardless of the root cause.

Listening to My Truth and Emancipation, not only allows you to walk a few steps in his shoes but, they cast a light on the darkest parts of life, showing you that you are never alone in you pain and suffering and that there is always a way forward. There is always a hand willing to take yours, a shoulder for you to cry on and someone to hold you when you most need it, all you have to do is reach out for that hand, rest on that shoulder and accept than hug.

These two tracks must have been hard to write and recite but, also cathartic in their final display. There is nothing stronger than the lived experience of someone who has been there and lived it and the messages here really do serve as hope to anyone who has been though something like that experienced by BENZA. When taken together these tracks say “its ok to not be ok. You are loved, so please stay”.

BENZA displays confident and raw edge to his lyrical content and execution; you can feel the love and respect he has for his craft and the message it conveys to those who choose to listen. If you have not yet listened to BENZA, then this is the moment to stop and take five to give these a listen, because this guy is one of those unsung heroes of the art, striving to be all he can be but, still giving something back and being one of those hands to reach out for when you need it most.

I must also give props to Temper Beats and Erik The Dawn, whose production brings such depth of feeling to these two tracks. Providing soundscapes that perfectly convey the emotive content of BENZA’a lyrics.          

My Truth and Emancipation are out now.

On that note,

I’ll see ya next time.

Steve.


LINKS

BENZA YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@benzahiphop


VIDEOS

MY TRUTH


EMANCIPATION



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment