Sunday 24 September 2017

FRSHRZ EP Review



FRSHRZ EP Review
By
Steve Rider



I will completely honest here and say that it is only recently that FRSHRZ came on to my radar. But, I am so glad they did.
I began to see pictures popping up on Facebook and Instagram of people holding the FRSHRZ CD and I started to check em out. Watching video’s of live appearances and so on. I then took the step to contact them find out if I was able to get hold of a copy of the CD EP so I could do a review.
Well, the guys were nice enough to send me a copy and I have been playing it off and on for a week or so now. Before I get into what I thought of it over all, I’ll give you a quick track by track rundown.


So, here we go:

The EP kicks off with a remix of their track LDN Posse. A Hip Hop banger that features the UK legend that is Rodney P. There is some dope name drops on this track that gives the listener an introduction to what inspired the guys to do what they do.

Next up is the N_WRD, a fresh little track to make ya head nod and open ya ears. The track has more N words that you can shake a stick at but, you won’t the N Word here.

Blxck Pride is the next offering and here we have the guys joined by Daak Martin, Si Philli and Logic. This track has a bit of a raga vibe with the emcees giving us some words of wisdom about heritage and the pride of being who they are. A lesson that many could learn from me thinks...
Mas Law joins the guys next for EA Sports and this is not the ‘It’s in the Game’ kinda thing but, ‘I’m in the Game’ with a track that is all about being in the Game but, it’s as far from game as you can get and yet still called a game...

What’s Love is a chilled out vibe with an edge. Exploring what the word love means from different perspectives. The guys keep the message real with a nice beat that keeps a hard edge.

Mental Health is a track that speaks to me on a personal level. Having not just suffered Depression myself, I have also seen others go through several different mental health issues. This is the second single I have really felt recently and it is good to hear these issues being tackled in ways that the youth will associate with and listen to. Again the track has chilled but, hard edged vibe to it whilst the angelic voice of Keesha Simpson echoes many voices.

The tempo is up a few notches for Letter to the Youths. But, don’t think the message in this one is any less powerful. The track simply puts the lesson into a vibe and message that the youth out there will listen to and feel. 




What I really liked about the EP was the fact that FRSHRZ have put together a solid offering that tackles some real deep issues. They have put their own stamp on the game here putting across the messages in way that everyone can vibe to, from the old skool Hip Hop heads to the younger generation and it is the lessons these messages address that the younger generation really need to be aware of.
This self produced EP is definitely one I recommend to everyone out there. It is kinda laid back but, there is still a definite hard edge to it that obviously comes from the true life issues being tackled.
It might not be the kinda vibe that just makes you wanna pound it out ya speakers and bounce around a nutta with ya teeth gritted! But, the messages here need to be heard and sometimes the chilled out deep hitting vibe is just what ya need.

Production is all top notch here: LDN Posse RMX by Kensaye, N_WRD by Earth2Tom, BLAXCK PRIDE by Nutty P, EA SPORTS by Mas Law, What’s Love by Juke84, Mental Health by Mas Law and Letter to the Youths by DJ Supreme. The whole thing is Executively Produced by C Maturine.
Design for the EP is handled by Nicola Gypsicola at WIS:Design.

All this shows that self produced releases can stand side by side with the best of them and give you the pleasure of knowing that all that hard work was well worth it.
I know that CD's are the most cost effective way of producing a physical release but, I would like to see a vinyl release, even a limited one would be awesome.

One last comment, I am looking forward to more from FRSHRZ and hopefully some live gigs to, preferably in an area I can get to.



The FRSHRZ EP is out now. Check the links below.

Steve Rider
Infinite Sounds UK 







Don't forget to follow FRSHRZ on all the usual social media platforms....

2 comments:

  1. Dope review Steve!! Limited Edition Vinyl is available and we have a copy for you!! FRSHRZ@gmail.com Peace

    ReplyDelete