Tuesday 19 September 2017

Hollow Jack Interview

Yo! What's up everyone?
I have not posted an interview for a while and so now it's time.
Recently, I reviewed the excellent Debut album Dark Religion by Hip Hop Horrorcore artist Hollow Jack.
While we talked about the review over facebook chat, I asked if he would be happy to answer a few questions to see if he would let us see a bit about about what makes him tick?
He was only too happy to do it.
So I put together some questions based around a standard set I use for Hip Hop is Dead on Facebook and below is the result.
I dope interview of short to the point answers to my not exactly hard to answer questions.
So, sit back with your tea and biscuits and enjoy....



A 20 Question Interview
with
Hollow Jack

Yo! Hollow Jack,
Thanks for letting me take some of your time to ask a few questions.
Let's get right into it.....

·         SR - Can you give us a quick bit of background on yourself and how you got into Hip Hop?
·         HJ - I’m from Sweden. Raised in Gothenburg by my parents and I got two older siblings. My real name is Hannes which is a Swedish/German name but it’s not a very typical name. I’ve listened to Hip Hop since I was a kid but I became a real Hip Hop head sorta late. 2009 if I remember it correctly. That’s when I heard That’s Coke with La Coka Nostra and I’ve been hooked ever since.

·         SR - Your style is Horrorcore. What inspired you to this style of Rap music?
·         HJ - I love horror movies so it just came natural to me when I started. However, I got tired of it real fast I have to admit. Horrorcore has a tendency of being a bit repetive and I wanna explore other subjects which you can hear in some of my other songs. I kinda regret doing the song “Lord of Horrorcore” cuz after that everyone started calling me that and I wanna be more diverse in Hip Hop. Holding on to the same theme gets boring with time.

·         SR - Other than Hip Hop, what other music do you listen to?
·         HJ - Everything really. I love music. Im a huge fan of artists like Rammstein, Rage Against the Machine, The Beatles, Sepultura, Madonna, Kraftwerk, Tina Turner, you name it.

·         SR - Do you have a favourite track you have written for a particular reason?
·         HJ - Probably Violent Prophecy, just because Goretex from Non Phixion was on it. Was a dream come true to do a track with him.

·         SR - What would be your favourite non hip hop album?
·         HJ - Kraftwerk – The Man Machine

·         SR - I have already reviewed your Album Dark Religion. I understand that before this was released you spent some time in Hospital and were very Ill? Would you happy to tell us a bit about this?
·         HJ - Last year I got a very aggressive bacteria in my lungs which almost killed me. I was sedated for a week and I had to undergo surgery where they removed a piece of my lung. Spent a month in the hospital and was real close to dying. Worst experience of my life.

·         SR - The Hip Hop scene is really blowing up in the UK. But, for years the Hardcore artists from the UK have had a huge following in Europe. Do you think this has influenced Hip Hop in Europe or do you think that euro countries such as your own, already have their own style?
·         HJ - Not sure to be honest. I listened to a lot of UK Hip Hop when I was younger like Gunshot, Hijack and Killa Instinct but I can’t say any of them was an influence for the music I make.

·         SR - Live music is an essential part of Hip Hop. Have you performed live and do you plan to do some more shows?
·         HJ - Never performed live. I don’t have many connections in Sweden so I don’t really know where to turn to make that happen. But I’m working on it.

·         SR - Where do you draw your inspiration from?
·         HJ - Mainly from movies and stories from my past.

·         SR - Who would you like to collaborate with in the future, Artist and/or Producer?
·         HJ - Be on a track with Sabac Red would be dope and to rap on a DJ Premier beat would be the illest.

·         SR - Who in Hip Hop or just music in general, has had an influence on you and your style?
·         HJ - Cage, no doubt. I relate A LOT to the music he made back in the days and he’s the one who made me wanna rap.

·         SR - I really want to big up underground Artists with a good real Hip Hop vibe. Are there any artists you recommend?
HJ - Dilyrium, Tha Soloist, ILLtemper, Rated R to name a few. There are so many dope ones out there so start diggin’.

·         SR - Do you feel that platforms such as Bandcamp and Soundcloud are a good base to showcase what you have to give?
·         HJ - I have a Soundcloud page but I hardly use it.

·         SR - Getting to where you are today. What has been you biggest struggle and your greatest achievement?
·         HJ - The biggest struggle was to get back on my feet after surgery. Took months. And the biggest achievement was when I released Dark Religion.

·         SR - Do you think that social media has its place in the way people can now connect. Especially for connecting with other artists, producers etc?
·         HJ - Absolutley. I would never be where I’m at now without the internet. Met tons of people cuz of it. Rappers, producers and peeps who enjoy my music.

·         SR - What does your music say about you?
·         HJ - That I love movies and I respect the culture of Hip Hop.

·         SR - Where do you think you would be if you had not taken the music route?
·         HJ - I don’t know. An actor maybe haha

·         SR - Other than music, what else do you enjoy doing?
·         HJ - I’m an avid movie and videogame collector. Besides music those are my biggest hobbies.

·         SR - For me, when I have been at Hip Hop gigs here in the UK, there is rarely any negativity and there is always a big “We are One” vibe! Do you get that from your experience?
·         HJ - Absolutely. Hip Hop heads stick together.

·         SR - Finally, what is next for Hollow Jack?
·         HJ - Right now, I’m working hard to finish my second solo album on which I can’t reveal the title of yet. Also got a music video in the making that you don’t wanna miss out on. Some features here and there for other dudes projects. And that’s about it.

SR - Thanks Jack for taking this time to answer these questions.
HJ – Thank You

SR - I’m glad you liked the review for Dark Religion especially as I got exactly from the album, the experience you had intended for listeners.
I wish you all the best bro and look forward to reviewing anything your might release in the future.

Big Up,
Steve
Hip Hop is Dead – Facebook
Infinite sounds UK

No comments:

Post a Comment