Thursday 31 May 2018

Dolby D - It's Messy/ Absolutely Messy/ 21 Gun Salute Single Review


It’s Messy/Absolutely Messy/21 Gun Salute
By Dolby D
A Review


I have been looking forward to reviewing this one for some time. Why! I hear one of you ask (that one is probably my son or brother)... Anyway, I digress...

Well, when I first decided to put my listening skills to good use, one of the best UK artists had already retired from the scene. However, in reviewing this release I not only get the chance to review a track with Three UK legends But, I get the chance to review a track featuring that retired UK artist, my good friend Blade. 

Trust me, reviewing ain’t easy But, somebody gotta do it!

I am not going to get into Dolby’s B-Boy history here. I’ll leave that for an album review or Interview perhaps. But, if you don’t know who Dolby is? You soon will so you might wanna do ya UK Hip Hop homework.

All I will say is that this is his first Official release. His previous stuff has yet to see the light of day but, he is still a huge figure in the UK Hip Hop scene.

Anyway, without further ado, let’s break into this:



IT’s MESSY – A proper banger this one But, one with a serious message about the state of the society we live in and have created. In fact Dolby Himself describes it as “thoughts and observations on the state of the world, big things and small things”.

Absolutely Messy ft MC Mello and Blade – The same theme as It’s Messy but, here we have three UK legends each giving their own vision of the state of our society. Dolby Kicks it off with the first verse putting you in a head-spin. Mello is up next dropping knowledge showing you things ain’t all glitter and glam. Finally Blade steps up and assaults your ears with a mental rhyme bomb. It’s often hard to better an original track but, Dolby has got two of the UK’s legendary figures to come in, bringing their own style and visions and helping him craft a banging piece of conscious Hip Hop. Dolby add’s “I always wanted other rappers views on the state of the world. I saw it as a great idea for a posse song”. A great idea? It was an Absolutely Bonkers Idea.

21 Gun Salute - Now here Dolby takes us more to the grime side of things. Now grime might not be my thing but, you can’t deny that this kicks and hits hard. You might be mistaken in thinking this on what this track might be all about. Perhaps I’ll let Dolby explain it to you “21 Gun Salute is about respect. Respect when you have been disrespected. And respect for women”. Also Dolby explained to me that this track was written way back in the Channel U days of 2005. Before Grime was Grime, the only thing tweaked was the music.

Ain’t I good to ya, I even give you quotes from the Man Himself.

So there you have it, one for old and new heads alike. With this release not only do you get an introduction into who Dolby D is, his styles and the topics he spins his verses around, with Its Messy and 21 Gun Salute But, you get a track, Absolutely Messy, that takes you back to a time in UK Hip Hop when legends were born, respect was earned on stage, on Vinyl and Legacies were forged.
This is just what you want from a first release but, it also makes a huge statement and leave you thinking ‘Damn’ What’s next from Dolby? Can he step up and match this with what he releases next?
Whatever Dolby D has in store for us next, with such a diverse range, I’ll be watching for it with eager anticipation and I suggest you do the same.

Massive shout out and respect to Dolby D for giving me some insight into the tracks.

It’s Messy/ Absolutely Messy/ 21 Gun Salute is available on Digital, CD and Vinyl from Click Clack Connection Records. Check below for some links to get yours.

Till next time,
I’m outta here.

Steve – Infinite Sounds





No comments:

Post a Comment