Sunday 28 July 2019

Doin' It / Sometimes - Whirlwind D Single Review


Doin’ It / Sometimes
By Whirlwind D
Single review



I’m going to make no secret of the fact that Whirlwind D is one of my favourite emcees out there. I can’t really say what one thing it is about his work that I enjoy so much. It is more that I find the way he writes, the content and his flow just all ads up to a perfect Hip Hop package. When D is on the Mic, you get to hear and understand everything all coupled with an energy that pervades everything he does. You can really feel the love he has for what he does and that for me really says it all when you hear and feel the music.




So, it is always a real treat to review something by D and when the chance came to review this one, I was well up for it. I also thought that this would be a great chance to drop a few questions his way.
On that note, let’s get in to this...

DOIN’ IT is a wicked feel good track and features production from Djar One, with cuts by Specifik. A high paced banger all about the love D has for Hip Hop. This track really speaks to those of us who grew up with Hip Hop from its early days but, don’t get me wrong here it’s not just one for the old skool heads. This is one for anyone who loves Hip Hop, the energy, the passion and the enjoyment it brings and I can’t think of anyone better to put that across that Whirlwind D. Let’s not forget Djar One has sculptured a wicked beat for D and Specifik brings the dope cuts to set it all off.

 SOMETIMES eases back on the pace as Specifik’s production provides a funkier more laid back vibe. Here D drops the knowledge on the real tip, discussing the things that are in our faces every day. From fake news and internet addiction to differing beliefs and the many things that cause stress and make us lose touch with who we truly are. Anyone listening to this will be able to associate with the topics here and it’s always good to give you something to think about. With Djar One back providing the cuts, there is plenty here for your mind.  

It is a safe bet these days that anything dropping from B-Line Recordings, is gonna really be the real Hip Hop, and as you can see here, this release is no different. Whirlwind D, Specifik and Djar One really vibe perfectly together and drop two phenomenally well crafted tracks that display differing moods, styles and subject matter. From all those differences the outcome of both is the same, two extremely enjoyable tracks that you will be having on rotation for many moons to come for sure.

As always, a release like this comes as a package and I would also like to drop a mention to those behind the scenes. All mixed by Djar One himself the Mastering of the whole project was Bristol’s infamous Rola, a true legend in the game and the man behind so many dope releases. Design comes from B-Line Recordings design master Mr Tibbz and Photography from master of the lens Paul Taylor. So a huge respect for the work everyone put into this release. Pat yourselves on the back everyone.



As I said at the beginning, I took this opportunity to drop a few questions to Whirlwind D. On the back of just five questions, I think a full interview would be something quite special but, that’s for another day perhaps. So, just what did I ask D on this occasion?


Firstly, I wanted to know how easy it was to drop a project like this with Specifik and Djar One?

D - First and foremost, it is always an absolute pleasure working with Specifik and Djar One. Specifik is one of my closest friends and so it is always a very natural process. He always gets that vibe just right and perfect for the track whether producing or scratching. Djar and I previously collaborated on ‘Labels’ (as did Specifik) and again, it is always a great pleasure working with Djar. Given the blueprint we already had with ‘Labels’, it was a relatively easy process, although of course there are always hiccups along the way. In this case, it was related to Rola not being able to mix the project due to his tinnitus. Rola is the best in the business when it comes to mixing and mastering and of course we all wish him a speedy recovery! I am eternally grateful to Rola for all the magic he brings to each of my projects!

Next, I asked him how the whole thing came about?

D - As with all of my personal projects, they are driven by me (hence the executive producer label). In this case, I really wanted to follow up ‘Labels’ from the ‘Beats, Bits and Bobs’ EP (2018) after the great success it was, even getting played on BBC 6Music (Craig Charles Show) and of course selling out quickly! With that in mind, I contacted Djar One and we decided on a beat, something fast and funk fuelled which would be a B Boy soundtrack. From there, Specifik laced it with the cuts and we did the exact reverse on the flip, producing another boom bap track, this time a bit slower to provide contrast but with a message about the world of information/mis-information that we live in. Specifik produced ‘Sometimes’.

So, what does Whirlwind D really enjoy about a project like this?
D - First and foremost, it’s the collaboration and working alongside good friends and people you have great respect for. On most of my projects I choose to work with friends and label mates and the process itself is an adventure. I also love seeing how we start with an ember of an idea and then reach a point where the track is written, ideas bound together, video in place and it’s ready to go on sale. Such a buzz! I’m also always very proud to record for such an incredible label (B Line) which I feel represents our culture and its values. All props to Specifik for creating this B-Line fam!

This might seem like a strange question but, as it came to mind I decided to ask and I thought it might bring something a little extra to the mix...

Have there been any draw backs on this project?

D - Not that I can think of! If anything, there are advantages as singles and eps can be more current and focused on a theme because of their length and immediacy. I loved recording my two albums however for the time being I’m quite happy going down the single/EP route. In addition of course, it is often the case (I notice this when you look at platforms such as Spotify) with the way the majority consumes music now, that specific tracks can be selected off long players. That said, there will always be a place for LPs and I do love them!!

Lastly, I asked what is to come from Whirlwind D and does he have anything coming up that he can let us know about?

D - Well....... I have a number of collaborations waiting to drop. One of which is on Haynsey’s dope forthcoming LP as you will probably know!  I should probably keep quiet about the rest! In addition I am about to start working on a joint project (most likely an EP) with another Mc, and there will probably be some more solo Whirlwind D stuff to come...... keeping busy for sure!!! We (Specifik and I) also have a few upcoming gigs..... Lindesfarne Festival at the end of August, Rope A Dope 5 and we are playing in France with Djar one!

So there you have it, a little insight into this project and a few things that are in the future. It’s awesome what can get just from a few short questions and I for one can’t wait for Rope-A-Dope 5, a great venue with great music. The perfect place to catch up with friends, make new ones and listen to some dope music to boot, so keep watch for more on this as you will probably find Whirlwind D on the Mic as Emcee and host...

I would like to thank Whirlwind D for answering these few questions for me. I would have loved to ask more trust me.

If you don’t have this one, go out and get it (sadly the Vinyl is sold out already), stream it whatever way you can just get it and don’t forget to check the video too, I’ll drop it below.

I will update links when I can.

So, till next time...

I’m out, Peace...

Steve. 





No comments:

Post a Comment