Friday, 2 October 2026

Album Review: That Soul I Know by Speaks

 

That Soul I Know

By

SPEAKS



I was first introduced to Empty Hand Records back in December of 2025 when I reviewed Vincent Deconstructed by Uncle Mic Nitro, courtesy of the label’s owner and producer, Speaks. Now, by that time Speaks had already released his debut producer’s album titled Highrize Jamz. That highly acclaimed album featured the likes of Uncle Mic Nitro, Krash Slaughta, Wordsworth, Phill Most Chill and more. Now I have yet to hear that album, so when Speaks asked if I would like to hear his new album, with a view to a potential review, I jumped at the chance.

Now, life being what it is, I thought I would be unable to review That Soul I Know when it dropped in September as an eviction forced me to suspend things until now. However, due to a delay in distributors, the album is now due to see its release on October 09th, just one short week away, so now seems like the perfect time to bring you my take on what is already being hailed as one of the year’s top albums.

That Soul I Know is a producer’s album, which means all production is handled by Speaks. As with Highrize Jamz Speaks has assembled a top line up of emcees to drop the goods over his beats. That line up consists of Ced Gee (Ultramagnetic MCs), Outbreak, Phill Most Chill, Uncle Mic Nitro, Different Damien, Simmer Soul (Rhyme Advocates - AUS), Supastition, 4-Ize, Fly Filty (AUS), Wordsworth, Habitat 617 (Heavy Links - UK), and Planet Asia.

Now, with a line up like this and Speaks love of the classic Boom Bap sound, this one has all the hallmarks of a contender of album of the year. So, join me as I take you on a journey through That Soul I Know.

The opening to the first track, Second Album Syndrome, grabs your attention as it how second albums can often fail to reach the hights of the debut album and artist/producers have to constantly adapt to new hights to keep things sounding fresh. This seeds a thought in your head as you listen. Speaks and Outbreak then let the horns and voice of Ced Gee drop in before the beat kicks off with some ferocious cuts. This sound gives you chills as you immediately feel that this little intro is likely gonna be a prelude to something banging; and so, the intention and expectation is set…

There is no time to second gues yourself here either before Make It Good drops in with a feature from the legendary Phill Most Chill. The intro to the track is all about the taking the music and getting a record deal. The beat drops in with chilled funk vibe has the kinda sound that is infectious and gets your body moving. PMC drops some slick lyricism that brings the icing to the cake here.Its all about making things good, lifting you up and making you feel good and this one does that with aplomb. Next up is Disco Scenes which features Uncle Mic Nitro, Different Damien and Simmer Soul alongside Speaks. The beat is heavy but with a dope soulful vibe keeping things laid back and mellow. Mic Nitro keeps it laid back on vocals as he takes us all back to the times we would all hit the discoes having a fun time while waiting for that final song to kick in to see if we would be the lucky one to share that moment with a special someone. This one is so mellow that you almost have to pause things, just for a moment to let those memories float by, before returning to the music…

Supastition and 4-Ize join Speaks for Raw Rap. Horns and piano vibes take us into a heavy banging beat, that backs by those horns, piano and bass notes, creates a Jazz Hop vibe that gets you bouncing. There are more than a few name drops on this one as we get rewound and then fast forwarded through some of the most notable artists and acts that have put their stamp on the Hip Hop game. This is all about putting your own mark on things and hitting it with the raw unflinching vocal styles that make the listener stunned for just a second. Uncle Mic Nitro is back alongside Australia’s Fly Filthy for Two Left Feet. Horns and organ notes back a proper banging beat, getting you moving once again with a sound that has an uplifting feel to it. This one is all about letting yourself feel the music, then allowing that vibe to take over your body and dance. Its not about how you dance, or maybe it is. Part of you feels its all about letting your body move to the music however you see fit, but there is also another part of you, if you’re a true head maybe, that can’t help but visualise the breakers moving to the beat and showing of those incredible acrobatic moves, or maybe just poppin’ and lockin’. I guess you just go where the beat takes you. Soul Goodz is a little interlude from Speaks and drops with this incredible sound of drums, piano, organ notes, bass and vocals. The result is this incredible soulful sound with some almost etheric singing that just makes you stop for a couple of minutes. This little instrumental moment just takes you wherever you want to go. Then, you come back with that little spoken word outro to the track, still chilled, still floating, but the album is now midway through and it time dip into the second half…

If you have the vinyl, then you are probably flipping it over right now and dropping the needle, and if you are listening to the digital, then you are probably still floating. The Pivot sees the return of Supastition and Speaks brings a heavy beat that is backed by this organ sound that has you continuing to float while nodding you head and closing your eyes. Supastition brings us lyrics that speak directly to the soul, so good that your eyes are closed. The message in this one is that there are times you just have to let go of things from your past. You might not want to let go, but it will be for the best as you might realise these things can hold you back and letting go will set you free. In the Summer sees Wordsworth joining Speaks to drop vocals over a dope beat that has a laid-back feel with organ notes that put you in mind of lazy summer days. That musical vibe mixes perfectly with Wordsworth, whose words take over your mind, letting you visualise every scene that her describes to you, helping you cast you mind back to your own summer experiences along the way. This one will make you wish summer would never end and the sun would always shine you, every day. With those thoughts of summer still floating in your mind, the UK’s Habitat 617 step up on Keep Your Distance. The summer vibes switch now as heavy piano vibes, backed by a heavy drumbeat, guitars and cuts, take you to the surprisingly sunny skies of the British skies. The heavy sound gets your head nodding while Habitat’s lyricism hits hard, giving you a demonstration of what he capable of should you give him the perfect beat to go off to. No particular message here except to listen and enjoy a solid display of lyrical dexterity.

Uncle Mic Nitro returns for one last appearance on Kick In The Door and here, he is on fine form as Speaks provides a boom bap style beat for you and Mic Nitro to crazy on. Banging beats, heavy horns and razor-sharp cuts get everyone hyped up and Mic Nitro lets his vocals unload like a one-man army. Here every word and beat hits with the force of 500 Magnum. There is not getting away from the fact that no matter how much you barricade it, Speaks and Mic Nitro are simply gonna kick the fucking door down. At this stage you might be thinking, how do you follow that one? Well, you bring in Planet Asia with the Middle Finger Flow, that’s how! Piano vibes, heavy drums, cuts and more give you a sound that cools the energy and gets your head nodding once more. In fact, you whole body gets moving as Planet Asia takes the reigns and rocks the mic with the kind of lyrics that gets you raising a middle finger to the sky with a broad smile on your face, enjoying every finger flippin’ moment. Before you even realise it, we find ourselves at the last track of the album. Outbreak features one last time alongside Speaks for New Possibilities. The funk vibe really goes off big time on this one as we are treated to one of those producer/DJ tracks that perfectly mixes funky vibes with cuts galore. I love these kinda tracks as it mixes things up and takes you back to the essence of the hip hop sound where the DJ would cut up classic tracks, making it into one engaging track that kept you bouncing from start finish, and it seems like the perfect way to round this one off by reminding you that this is Hip Hop, and as much as you love everything that has gone before, the seed that this all grew from was often just the DJ and two turntables; and a microphone…

 



I gotta say, that was something. After a few weeks away, I was not sure I could do this justice right now, and I’m not saying I have, but this album grabbed my attention, opened my mind and allowed the words to flow. I’m pretty sure that if I did this whole thing again tomorrow, I could write a whole different review because everything here is the kind of music, that real Hip Hop music that I have come to love. It makes me think that if Speaks Debut is anything like this, I gotta hear it.

Now, I could leave it there really, that short paragraph does seem to sum up this album perfectly. However, I’m not going to just sign off like that. Not a chance, and please forgive me because I might say a few things that might be a bit controversial in a moment…

There is something I really like about Producer Albums, these are albums that are brought into being by one or two people, creating beats and bringing in rapper or another artist to feature. Sometimes the beat comes first and its all about finding the right artist and sometimes the producer might have a particular artist in mind before creating the beat. I guess that for me, it is the closest thing to real Hip Hop aside from a crew that is made up of emcees and a DJ or DJs.

Now for the controversial bit. When I listen to an album like That Soul I Know, I think about some albums I have heard where an artist will bring in multiple producers, DJs, and guest emcees. Now while these are still good Hip Hop albums, they almost feel like a compilation album or a kind of showcase album, they do not always allow the individual to shine through. I would like to see the individual to bring their talents to the forefront and simplify things a little with less producers and features. I say that will all the respect to those emcees. Here Speaks does just that, he keeps blueprint simple across the album and that is the key thing that allows this to shine so much.

Every track here is pure Hip Hop, the beats shine through and you can feel the heart and soul in everyone. Speaks brings in just the right emcees to compliment every beat he produces, allowing every track you here to be individual in its own right, whilst also fitting so well as part of the album. Everything flows so well with highs and more chilled moments that keep you engaged through out in a way that does not leave you thinking that any particular track shined brighter than another.

That Soul I Know does not suffer from any type of second album syndrome, in fact, I think I builds on the hype of the debut album. Speaks takes his love of Hip Hop Boom Bap music and gives it his own spin. He adds a dash of this genre and that genre along the way and allows those sounds and the Hip Hop vibes to compliment each other, in the same way as the Emcees and Beats complement each other.

That Soul I Know is the perfect album to return to Infinite Sounds UK after my little hiatus, it is a solid listen that not only shows the quality of Speaks as a producer, but it shows that he is able to create tracks that speak to the listener as well as just give them something hot to listen too. Is this one of the albums of the year? Should you believe the hype? Yes, it is, and yes, you should.

Before I go there is one last person I need to mention. As always Album's are a unique package and that includes the artwork and design that is the first thing you'll see when handling the vinyl and when you drop your pre-order. For That Soul I Know those props go to Camila Carmody.

My thanks to Speaks for allowing me to bring you my take on this album, for what it said to me and helped me to express. Go pre-order your copy now and get ready to go to the soul of that real Hip Hop sound.

See ya Next time,

Steve.


LINKS

Pre-Order Here:

https://emptyhandrecords.bandcamp.com/album/that-soul-i-know

Empty Hand Records Website:

https://emptyhandrecords.com/

Empty Hand Records Socials:

https://www.instagram.com/emptyhandrecords/

https://www.facebook.com/emptyhandrecords

https://www.youtube.com/@emptyhandrecords


VIDEOS

Kick The Door Down ft Uncle Mic Nitro



In The Summer ft Wordsworth



 

No comments:

Post a Comment